A Recipe for your Sourdough Discard: Cheese Scones
It is only because I have lived here in Scotland for so long that I would call these “scones” because truth be told, in my mind, these are cheese biscuits. Whatever, you call them, the sourdough discard pairs perfectly with the cheese for a hit of savoury umami deliciousness. These are a fab quick win recipe and its worth having some recipes for discard up your sleeves so that you can refresh your starter and keep it active, without always having to make bread.
150g sharp cheddar – grated
230g plain flour
1t baking powder
½ t bicarb
½ t salt
125g cold butter
200g 100% hydration starter
120g milk (buttermilk if you have it)
1. Cut the cold butter into small pieces and mix with the flour, salt, bicarb and baking soda until it resembles crumbs.
2. Mix in the grated cheese.
3. Mix the starter and milk and add to the flour mix.
4. Mix just until everything is incorporated.
5. Roll out to about 3cm thick and cut scones. Or, this recipe is perfectly sized to fit into 12 muffin tins.
6. Bake at 180c for 10 minutes or until brown.
Try adding other cheeses or adding 100g cooked, chopped broccoli
You can find more sourdough recipes, tips and tricks in our online courses -