Sausage and Kale Stew
The notes app on my phone holds the contents of my life. From lists of what to get at the feed store, quotes I like to projects for the farm, it has everything. Where it really comes into its own though is recipes. Almost every recipe I have ever written has started out as a note in my phone.
This recipe has lived there for awhile. It started out as a way to use up some sausages that wouldn't quite have spread to a family meal, but the kids loved it and it has since come into regular rotation.
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 10 sausages, removed from their casings
- 3 garlic gloves, finely chopped
- 5x medium waxy potatoes, chopped into 1cm cubes
- 0.5tsp black pepper
- 3 litres of stock (we use chicken)
- 200g chopped kale
- Juice of half a lemon (optional)
- salt to taste
- On a low heat, sauté the onion and the sausages in the butter, breaking up the sausage meat into bite sized pieces.
- When the sausage is cooked through and the onions are soft, add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes until garlic is soft.
- Add the potatoes, pepper and stock to the pot. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through. Add salt to taste.
- Add kale and lemon juice if wanted at the last minute before serving.